Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jazz Resources by Tony Caramia

Piano pedagogue and performer Tony Caramia has a nice substantial article about jazz resources on the website Keyboard Companion Online. Any pianist (student or teacher) who has an interest in jazz, blues, and other pop styles could benefit from taking a look at it. Mr. Caramia widely covers resources and repertoire on the web, how to choose jazz repertoire for students, interpretation issues, style concepts (like swing), and method books.

Some of my students absolutely LOVE playing this music. If you are reading this and you love playing jazzy things, have a look at Mr. Caramia’s article (maybe with Mom or Dad) and let me know if you’d like to dig into jazz and blues more deeply.

By the way, I took my first piano pedagogy course with Mr. Caramia while I was getting my bachelor’s degree at the Eastman School of Music way back in the 1990’s. He’s a terrific teacher and I am glad I got some pedagogical training with him (though I did not realize this until later, when I actually started teaching!)

0 comments: